Saturday, October 9, 2010

Chicken in Walnut Sauce


In a recent post I mentioned my love for a new blog (well, new to me), Amanda's Cookin, and lemme tell you, the love affair still lives on. I have bookmarked a lot of recipes and can't wait to make them all. One such recipe is this chicken. I saw the picture and thought "I want to go to there" (30 Rock reference- not bad grammar). Once I made it I was even more sold. This chicken was fabulous.

I love saucy foods. There is just something about them that makes me happy. When I made this I cut it down to two pieces of chicken but I kept the sauce amount the same so I could pour it on the mashed potatoes. Smart choice I tell you, smart choice. John and I both loved it. The cinnamon in the sauce was interesting! I have seen cinnamon in a few Greek chicken recipes, but I had never tried it. Now I surely will. Overall, this was a different meal, something I don't typically make, and it was a huge hit. Give it a try- most likely you have the ingredients on hand!

Source: Slightly adapted from Amanda's Cookin

Ingredients:

1 teaspoon olive oil
2 boneless chicken breasts
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 (14-ounce) can low-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley (or 2 tbsp. dried parsley)
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper


Directions:

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add chicken; cook several minutes on each side, depending on the thickness of your breasts, or until browned.


 Remove from pan. Add onion and garlic to pan; cook 2 minutes or until tender, stirring constantly. Add walnuts, and cook 1 minute or until toasted and fragrant, stirring constantly. 


Combine flour, cinnamon, and red pepper, and sprinkle over walnuts, stirring to coat. Add broth; stir with a whisk. Return chicken to pan, breast side up. 

Cover and simmer 15-20 minutes or until chicken is done and sauce is slightly thick. Stir in parsley, vinegar, salt, and black pepper, bring to a boil and simmer for a few minutes. 

3 comments:

  1. So glad you enjoyed it! It looks fabulous and so smart to use the sauce as a gravy! YUM! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah! I love the 30 Rock quote. I just bought a bag of walnuts so this one will be perfect for the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that blog myself, lovely sauce

    ReplyDelete