Thursday, October 7, 2010

Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins

Ok people... these muffins are heavenly. Last weekend I knew I wanted to make some type of healthy(ish) muffin for breakfast this week. I simply googled whole wheat muffins and these popped up. I love the website Eat Better America so I was thrilled to make their version of this classic muffin.

When I first tasted these muffins warm from the oven I thought "Meh... no flavor." But once they cooled and I tasted them again my mind completely changed. These were incredible! They are sweet yet satisfying. I paired one up with a banana every day this week and it held me until lunch. I will say I halved the brown sugar topping because it seemed excessive when I was making them but I wish I had kept it the suggested amount. They need that sugary sweetness because there isn't any in the recipe so definitely use all of it.

Overall John and I both loved these. I've looked forward to breakfast daily this week so these just might be repeated again soon!

Source: Eat Better America


Topping
2tablespoons packed brown sugar
1/4teaspoon ground cinnamon
Muffins
3/4cup skim milk
1/4cup canola or soybean oil
1/4cup honey
1egg
1cup all-purpose flour
1cup whole wheat flour
3teaspoons baking powder
1/2teaspoon salt
1cup  blueberries (fresh or frozen)
1.Heat oven to 400°F. Spray 12 regular-size muffin cups with cooking spray, or place paper baking cup in each muffin cup. In small bowl, stir together topping ingredients; set aside.
2.In large bowl, beat milk, oil, honey and egg with spoon until well blended. Stir in flours, baking powder and salt just until dry ingredients are moistened (batter will be lumpy). Gently fold in blueberries.
3.Divide batter evenly among muffin cups (cups will be full). Sprinkle with topping.
4.Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and muffins are golden brown. Immediately remove from pan.

1 comment:

  1. sigh. this makes me miss fresh blueberries! these look picture perfect!

    ReplyDelete