Saturday, June 5, 2010

Chicken and Cheese Stuffed Shells


Stuffed shells are a classic, no? I can remember getting them from a local Italian restaurant every time we went when I was growing up. They'd bake them in these little ramekins and the cheese would get all crusty... gosh, now I want to go there. I have a box of shells in my cabinet and I am trying to use it up... Enter chicken and cheese stuffed shells.

These shells primarily served the function of using up leftovers. I had some roast chicken, some ricotta, and some sauce leftover from various meals. I figured throw it all together and see what happens. I ended up sending most of these shells home with my friend Christine. Her boyfriend ate all of them and said they were awesome, so I guess they were well received. I thought they were really good too, but I am biased- pasta+cheese=<3

If you don't feel like using a tomato pesto sauce you can always use any sauce (tomato, alfredo, pesto, etc.) I'm not picky- the sauce choice is all yours. I assure you you won't be disappointed with way.

Source: Stephanie Cooks Original

Ingredients:

12 large shells, boiled and drained
1.5 cups part skim ricotta cheese
1/2 cup shredded chicken breast
1 egg
1/2 cup part skim mozzarella cheese
salt
pepper
Tomato pesto sauce
Fresh basil, torn

Directions:
1- Preheat the oven to 350.
2- In a medium bowl, mix the ricotta, chicken, egg, and 1/4 cup of mozzarella, Stir well.
3- Season with salt and pepper.
4- Spoon heaping spoonfuls of the mixture into the shells. Place in a baking dish (be sure to pour about 1/2 cup sauce in the bottom of the baking dish first.)
5- Repeat until all shells are stuffed.
6- Top with sauce and the remaining 1/4 cup of mozzarella cheese.
7- Bake for 20 minutes of until heated through.
8- Top with basil and serve hot.

3 comments:

  1. are you talking about federicis? thats what this reminded me of...mmm we need to go there over the summer and sit outside!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why yes I am! I agree- I loooove that place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great way to use up left overs - so simple!

    ReplyDelete