Saturday, December 26, 2009

Double Cheese Pasta Primavera



Disclaimer: This recipe is... easy. I'll use the word easy because it's nicer than the other words that come to mind. The base of the recipe is a box of Velveeta Mac and Cheese! C'mon people! You know this is going to be goooood.

My lovely state of NJ got a big snowstorm recently and I felt like making something comforting. I didn't want to go crazy with my calories but I knew I wanted something "bad" but oooooh so good. I saw this recipe and started clapping- perfect! Now I am a Kraft blue box girl. If I am going to have boxed mac and cheese I want the blue box. Velveeta was never my thing. But this 2% cheese stuff is great. It's not as creamy and plasticy tasting. I really loved this. I will say though that I would ignore Kraft when it comes to cooking the veggies in Italian salad dressing. I did it and BLECH. Every veggie contrasted the taste of the pasta. BLECH BLECH BLECH. I loved the veggies and the pasta, but together it was weird. Instead I would just saute them in some chicken broth. My directions below reflect this change. Now this recipe won't win you any culinary awards but if you want classic comfort food, I say give it a shot.

Source: Adapted from Kraft

1 pkg. (12 oz.) VELVEETA Shells & Cheese Dinner Made With 2% Milk Cheese
2 Tbsp. chicken broth
1 cup cooked broccoli florets
1 red pepper, cut into strips
1 cup frozen baby peas
1/4 tsp. dried basil leaves, crushed
2 Tbsp. Grated Parmesan Cheese

Directions:
PREPARE Dinner as directed on package.

MEANWHILE, heat chicken broth in large skillet on medium heat. Add broccoli and peppers; cook and stir 5 min. or until crisp-tender. Stir in peas; cook 3 to 5 min. or until heated through, stirring occasionally.

ADD Dinner and basil; mix lightly. Top with Parmesan.

** 6 points per 1.5 cup serving

No comments:

Post a Comment