Monday, October 12, 2009

Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins



For someone who loves cooking I have the hardest time coming up with lunch options for work. I don't love leftovers, I am getting sick of frozen meals like Lean Cuisines, and I get tired of sandwiches. This leaves me with very few options! Add to it that I am having stomach surgery soon and need to follow a low-fat diet from now on and I have been feeling lost when it comes to healthy, quick lunch options.

I decided to bake up a batch of healthy muffins to accompany my lunches. I have been scouring the internet for tasty low-fat recipes for my new lifestyle and these seemed promising. They were quite tasty. They have a very earthy, healthy taste. They don't have the typical cake like taste of muffins- rather an oatty taste that is quite appealing. The original recipe calls for raisins but I switched it up to blueberries... you could always substitute raisins if you prefer!

Source: Adapted from About.com

Ingredients:

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 1/4 cups oats
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup cinnamon applesauce
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tbsp canola oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3/4 cup blueberries (or 1/2 cup of raisins)

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper cases or spray with nonstick cooking spray

In a large bowl combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. In a medium bowl combine applesauce, buttermilk, sugar, oil and egg. Make a well in dry ingredients and add applesauce mixture. Stir until just moist. Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.

Bake for 16-18 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment