Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup



With fall here and winter looming in the not too far off future there are countless casserole recipes, pot pies, and baked pasta dishes that will be popping up everywhere. One ingredient that graces many of these recipes is canned condensed soups. Growing up many of my favorite recipes used these canned soups. However as I have developed my cooking I have gained a desire to stray from using as many canned/processed ingredients. I came across this recipe for cream of chicken soup and decided to give it a try. While I don't mind canned cream of mushroom soup I never use canned cream of chicken. Those pink bits of chicken floating in the thick goo always creep me out (sorry... I know it's very popular, I just can't get over it! I end up picking out all the bits and it takes FOR-E-VER!)

This recipe results in a soup that is the perfect substitute for canned condensed chicken soup. You can feel good about using this soup because it's a healthier option and all of the ingredients are pronounceable which is a big bonus. To make it low-fat just use 1% or 2% milk like I did. I am so excited to have this recipe for the cold months ahead!

Source: Tammy's Recipes

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt (or less; taste to test)
1/4 teaspoon parsley
dash of paprika
1 1/2 cups milk
3/4 cup flour

Instructions:
1. In medium-sized saucepan, boil chicken broth, 1/2 cup of the milk, and the seasonings for a minute or two (longer if using fresh onions or garlic).
2. In a bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 cup of milk and flour. Add to boiling mixture and continue whisking briskly until mixture boils and thickens.

Yields 3 cups of soup. 1.5 cups is the equivalent of one can of soup.

3 comments:

  1. Very smart! It IS hard to get around condensed soup, especially this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. can you freeze this home made soup???

    ReplyDelete