Monday, March 2, 2009

Spinach and cheese calzone


Calzones remind me of my dad. Growing up he and I would always get a cheese calzone to share and I loved it. I decided to try and make them at home so I could modify the fillings. John doesn't love ricotta cheese so typical calzones from Italian restaurants are out of the question. I made up this recipe to use what I had on hand. I didn't measure anything so I'm not including quantities, you can use as much or as little of each ingredient as you like. Also feel free to substitute and add other ingredients, calzones are very versatile.

I did have a little trouble sealing them. They sealed beautifully but opened a little bit in the cooking process. They still tasted excellent though and I would definitely try them again with other toppings.



Ingredients:
Pizza dough (I used frozen pre-made dough)
Frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed to remove excess liquid
Mozzarella cheese
Ricotta cheese
Italian seasonings
Tomato sauce

Directions:
1- Preheat the oven to 400.
2- Take the pizza dough and divide it in half. Roll each half into a ball.
3- Using a rolling pin roll each ball out until it forms a large circle.
4- Layer the spinach and cheeses on top of one half of the circle. Sprinkle with Italian seasonings.
5- Fold the circle in half so the dough is completely covering the toppings. Squeeze the edges sealed.
6- Place on a baking sheet or preheated pizza stone and cook until the top is browned and inside is heated through.
7- Serve with warm tomato sauce.

3 comments:

  1. My H hates ricotta in his too. Mozz only for him! I looooove ricotta, too. THis looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks yummy! i'm glad facebook hasn't stopped u from posting on here :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that the cheese is oozing out the sides, yum!

    ReplyDelete