Sunday, March 22, 2009

Parmesan Risotto



I know this might be shocking to most people but prior to making this I had never tried risotto before. I have seen countless recipes and I love how the rice gets creamy through the use of chicken broth rather than cream or some other fattening additive. I decided to use a modified version of this recipe. I didn't have peas so I omitted them. Also I cut the recipe into thirds. Below is the quantities I used. It yielded about 4 servings when made as a side dish.

John and I both loved this. It was so yummy and creamy without being high in calories/fat. I could easily have halved the parmesan cheese as well because it was so creamy on its own from the broth. I highly recommend this recipe.

Ingredients:
1 cup arborio rice
4 cups low sodium, fat free chicken broth
1/2 a small onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
S&P to taste

Directions:

1-In a large, wide pan, heat olive oil over medium. Saute onions until soft. Add garlic and dry rice and cook until the rice is lightly browned all over.

2- At the same time, heat up broth in a saucepan over low flame. When rice is lightly browned, pour 1 C. of broth into the pan, stirring constantly. When liquid is completely absorbed, add in another cup of hot broth. Continue in this manner until all of the broth has been absorbed by the rice.

3- Season with salt and pepper as desired, stir in the parmesan cheese thoroughly, cover, and remove from the heat. Serve warm.

** 5 Weight Watchers points per 2/3 cup serving

4 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious. I have yet to make risotto but this sounds like the perfect recipe to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So tasty. I'm a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't made it either, buy yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this tonight so I could make your risotto cakes as part of a valentines day meal for my partner tomorrow. I'm topping the cakes with shrimp francesca. THIS TASTES SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete