Monday, March 23, 2009

Greek Orzo Stuffed Peppers



I am one of the least adventurous eaters. Prior to meeting John I seriously ate bread, chicken, and pasta. While he too is picky he is far more adventurous than I am. When I saw this recipe for Greek stuffed peppers I was intrigued. It sounded like something I would enjoy so I decided to go with it. I am so glad I did. These were tasty! John was hesitant because of the feta cheese but we both really like this. I did make several modifications. The recipe below reflects my version. If you are going to make this I highly suggest looking at Elizabeth's blog (linked about) because she provides great step by step pictures.

Ingredients:
2 bell peppers
2/3 cup orzo
1 can chicken broth
1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 medium onion, chopped
6 ounce(s) baby spinach
1 teaspoon dried oregeno
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 tomato, finely diced
1 tablespoon(s) red-wine vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Halve peppers lengthwise through the stems, leaving the stems attached. Remove the seeds and white membrane. Place the peppers cut-side down in a large microwave-safe dish. Add 1/2 inch water, cover with cling wrap, cut slits in wrap to vent,and microwave on high until the peppers are just softened, 7 to 9 minutes. Let cool slightly, drain, and set aside.

2. Meanwhile, bring a saucepan of chicken broth with the orzo to a boil. Cook until the orzo absorbs the chicken broth and is tender.

3. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until soft, about 4 minutes. Add spinachand oregano and cook, stirring, until the spinach is wilted, about 1 minute.

4. Then stir in orzo, diced tomato, 1/2 cup feta, vinegar, and salt; cook until heated though, about 1 minute.

5. Divide the filling among the peppers.

** 8 Weight Watchers points per serving (1 whole peppers stuffed with 1 cup of filling)

3 comments:

  1. Your stuffed peppers look amazing! I will have to try green peppers next time and see if it makes a big difference in flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh - these look great! I'll have to try these sometime this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look wonderful. I've got to try them sometime!

    ReplyDelete