Thursday, March 12, 2009

Apple Peanut Butter Cookies



I mentioned in an older post that I never bake... HA! How times have changed. I used to never bake. Now that I found a place to send all of my goodies (aka John's work) I love to bake. Especially since John works such long hours, baking gives me something to do that doesn't involve spending money. When this recipe popped up in my google reader this week I starred it and knew I'd make it. I did have some trouble finding some of the ingredients, namely vanilla granola clusters and tubinado sugar. I found a substitute for the granola and decided to skip rolling the cookies in sugar. If you want to roll them in sugar, go for it, but they were awesome without it!

After tasting one of these I was so tempted to not send them to work with John! They are THAT good. If you love the combo of peanut butter and apple these are a must try. I can't recommend these highly enough.

Ingredients:

1 stick softened butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 Cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 Cup creamy peanut butter
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla

1 1/2 Cups all purpose flour
3/4 Cup vanilla flavored granola clusters (I used oats and honey granola)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Cup diced apples, about 1/4 inch, I used Granny Smith

1/2 Cup turbinado sugar, or other sugar of choice to roll cookies in (Omitted)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a stand or electric mixer, cream butter and sugars until light mixed well. Beat in peanut butter until combined then add the egg and vanilla until well combined.

2. In a large bowl mix together the flour, granola, baking soda and salt. Slowly mix into the wet ingredients following the apples until just combined. With a medium cookie scoop, scoop dough, roll into sugar then place onto a silpat or parchment lined baking sheet. With tines of a fork, press down slightly making an X on top of each cookie. Bake for 8-9 minutes, cookies should look somewhat soft inside when you take them out. Let cool/finish baking out of oven for 5 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack.

3 comments: