Friday, January 2, 2009

Basic Tomato Sauce


I found this recipe years ago and it has been my go-to recipe for homemade sauce. It is simple and results in a fresh, delicious sauce. I like to add red pepper flakes to make it spicy, but if you don't enjoy spicy foods just omit them.

Also, I tend to double the recipe and freeze it in freezer bags for future uses. Works great!



Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons olive oil

1 tablespoon of onion powder (or 1 small sweet onion, chopped)
6 cloves garlic, crushed (I use my microplane)
2 28-oz. cans of crushed tomatoes

2.5 teaspoons dried parsley

1/2 teaspoon dried basil


2 teaspoons salt

2 Tablespoons sugar
Red pepper flakes (if you want it hot)

Directions:
1. Saute onion and garlic in olive oil over medium-low heat until onion is tender.
2. Add crushed tomatoes, parsley, basil, salt, and sugar.
3. Stir and lower heat to a slow simmer.
4. Allow to simmer for 2-3 hours at a minimum. About 1 hour before done simmering add the red pepper flakes.

3 comments:

  1. I love making homemade tomato sauce - so easy and much better than any jarred brand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good homemade tomato sauce. Can't wait to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like my kind of sauce and similar to the one I make. I hate really chunky sauces. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete