Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Chinese Brown Sauce


**Pardon the picture- it was an after thought and is actually a picture of the left over sauce. Don't let the picture discourage you- it was great.

I love chicken and broccoli when I go out for Chinese. My favorite part is the delicious brown sauce that it is served in. I decided to make a stir fry and wanted to use brown sauce so I searched the internet and found this recipe. It came out shockingly well! I wasn't expecting much because when it first started cooking it looked all wrong. However, with time it deepened in color and got thicker. Overall it tasted pretty similar to what you get from the Chinese restaurant!

Ingredients:
3/4 cup beef broth (beef bouillion cubes can be used)
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch

Directions:
Combine the above ingredients in order and bring to a boil, stirring. Yields about 1/3 cup.

**I doubled this for my stir fry. It made enough for the stir fry, dipping sauce for the egg rolls, and some left over.

1 comment:

  1. Although I don't know the measurements off hand, the ingredients you used are pretty much what I use for many stir fries and ethnic dishes! Yum!

    ReplyDelete