Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Scalloped Potatoes



Tonight I made cheesy scalloped potatoes to go with barbecued ham steaks. I have always made scalloped potatoes from a box so this was my first time trying to make them from scratch. I looked through a ton of recipes and couldn't really find what I was looking for, so I kind of took a little of this and a little of that from a bunch of different recipes. The end results were very good. I love cheese and felt some of the cheese sauce dried up during cooking, but it was still very good.

Ingredients:
3 large baking potatoes
1/8 cup flour
1 cup 1% milk (or any milk you like)
1/4 of a block of Extra Sharp Cheddar cheese (You can use about 3/4 of a cup of shredded cheese if you have that)
Pinch of garlic powder
Pinch of black pepper

Directions:
1- Peel potatoes. Slice into thin slices.
2- Meanwhile in a saucepan, dump flour and seasonings into pan. Slowly add milk and whisk until thick (this took a while) over medium heat.
3- Pour in the cheese and stir until smooth
4- Pour the cheese mixture over the sliced potatoes in a shallow baking dish. Mix so all potatoes are evenly coated.
5- Bake at 375 until potatoes are cooked and cheese sauce is bubbly. Uncover for the last 10 minutes to brown the top. (This took about 45 minutes or so)

2 comments:

  1. Another successful meal. This was some good homemade American style food.

    If you are wondering about what she cooked between this and the last post, she made pizza with some pre-made dough. Don't worry I made her promise to make an entry on this quick and easy meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made similar scalloped potatoes last night to go with grilled bbq chicken :)

    ReplyDelete