Monday, March 30, 2015

Grilled Chicken Spiedies Sandwich


Freshman year of college I had a roommate from upstate NY- particularly the Binghamton area. I went home with her a few times over the year and quickly learned about chicken spiedies. If you're not from NY (like me) and have never heard of it, it's awesome. In her town they had it everywhere- on pizza, sandwiches, platters, pre-made at the grocery store, at restaurants, etc. I think I ate it in every form I could find!

Since I live a solid 4ish+ hours from there, going for a ride for some chicken is out of the question. I did some searching and came upon this recipe. It needs 24 hours-4 days to marinade (I did 2 days) so you do have to plan ahead. The end results? Delicious. I made half the recipe but next time I'd make the whole thing and use it all week in various dishes. A true throwback to freshman year!

(True confession: I made this last fall and saved it to share this spring! I didn't want to share it in the winter... and since NJ seems to be going on an endless winter, better now that never!)

Source: Grocery Budget 101

Ingredients:

Chicken spiedies:
2-1/2 pounds chicken, cubed
1 cup olive oil
1/2 cup white vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
2-1/2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1-1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons crushed dried mint
1 tablespoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper

Directions:
1- In a medium bowl combine the olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, salt, garlic, garlic salt, oregano, garlic salt, mint, basil, and black pepper, whisking together. Place the chicken in a gallon size zip-seal bag. Pour sauce over top.

2- Seal the container and shake until combined. Refrigerate for at least 24 Full hours- up to 4 days, shaking the container to turn the meat every 8 hours or so.

3- Skewer the meat with the soaked skewers and place on grill to cook, turning every three minutes until cooked through and the internal temperature of the meat reaches 170 degrees F.

4- Place chicken on sandwich rolls. Top with cheese, lettuce, and any desired toppings.

No comments:

Post a Comment