Thursday, November 20, 2014

Lemon Orzo Soup


It's so cold in the Northeast right now. I really can't complain because Buffalo is under 6 feet of snow with more coming, and I've yet to see a flake this year, but none the less we're all freezing here! When it's freezing one of my favorite things to eat is soup. If I'm being honest I really like to eat soup because I REALLY like to serve it with crusty warm bread. To me there is no substitute for a good loaf of bread with soup.

I made this recently and it was a total hit. John and I loved it and my mom ate the leftovers and also was singing its praises. The lemon flavor really came through which is important to me if I want a lemony soup. I've made lemon noodle soups before and they were ok, but this one nailed it. It was obvious but not overpowering. I can't say enough about how much we enjoyed this soup. I predict this will be a staple this fall/winter!

Source: Stephanie Cooks Original

Ingredients:
2 tbsp butter (divided)
3/4 cup orzo
1 small onion, chopped small
1 cup carrots, cut into coins
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups chicken broth
1 tbsp dried parsley
Garlic Salt
Pepper
1 lemon

Directions:
1- In a large pot, melt one tbsp butter and add the orzo. Stir frequently until lightly browned. Then remove the orzo from the pot and set aside.
3- Melt the other tbsp of butter. Add the onion and carrots and cook for about 5-7 minutes, until soft. Add the garlic and stir well, about 2-3 minutes.
4- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
5- Add the orzo and the juice of one lemon to the pot. Season with  parsley, garlic salt, and pepper to taste. Cook on medium/low until the orzo is cooked and the veggies are soft, about 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment