Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Chicken Florentine Puffs with Tomato Cream Sauce


I am a huge proponent of meal planning. I think it's important to have some type of game plan of what you'll be making over the week so that you don't spend precious time going, "Hmm... what can we make? What do we have?" However... I STINK at following my plan. I plan 5 nights a week. I'd say on any given week I only make 2-3 of my planned meals. The other nights I end up cooking something using the random ingredients I've accumulated from past meals I didn't make (and creating more unused random ingredients for future use). Oy. It's bad.

Recently I had planned to make something (who knows what) but decided at the last minute I needed to use up the following:
1- a sheet of puff pastry
2- a tomato
3- rotisserie chicken
4- some cream

I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it but I knew with that cast of characters it would be good. Typically anything wrapped in flaky puffed pastry is good stuff. This was no different. In fact this was beyond delicious. I wasn't sure if I wanted to mix the tomatoes in or make a sauce with them but I am so glad I went the sauce route. It was so delicious. I served this with rice and I was pouring the sauce all over my rice. John took the leftovers to work and swore it was just as delicious as the first time. I know we'll be having this again since he and I both love anything that combines dough, chicken, and sauce.

Source: Stephanie Cooks Original

Ingredients:
1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
1 1/2 cups cooked chicken
1/2 cup thawed frozen chopped spinach, wrung dry
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup parmesan cheese

Sauce:
1 large tomato, diced small
3/4 cup chicken stock
1 packet Swanson flavor boost, chicken flavored (optional but recommended)
1/4 cup heavy cream
Salt and pepper.

Directions:
1- Preheat the oven to 425.
2- Line a baking sheet with a Silpat or parchment paper.
3- Using a rolling pin slightly roll the puff pastry out.
4- In a bowl combine the chicken, spinach, and cheeses. Stir well.
5- Place the mixture in the center of the puff pastry. Fold the sides in, covering the mixture. Tuck the ends in so the mixture is fully covered with dough. Place seam side down on the cookie sheet.
6- Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown.
7- Meanwhile, in a small sauce pan combine the tomato, stock, and flavor boost (if using). Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and allow to cook on medium-low for about 15 minutes. Stir in the cream and allow to cook an additional 5 minutes.
8- Once the chicken pastry is cooked slice with a cerated knife. Top with the sauce. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment