Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Slow Cooker Sweet Onion Pot Roast


Look people... I don't rave about red meat often, but I need to stop the show and RAVE about this recipe. A friend of mine, Liz, recently shared her brisket recipe with me and I was dying to try it. Being the good Jewish girl that I am I do enjoy a good brisket, so I was super excited for this. I went to the grocery store on a Saturday night to get all the ingredients so I could have it in the crockpot and ready to go on Sunday morning. Only there was one big problem. My ShopRite had no briskets! I called my mom to ask if brisket goes by any other name (meat is SO confusing- I can never keep it straight since I eat it so infrequently) and she told me it didn't... so off I went to find a replacement. Pot roast was on sale so I decided to just try it and boyyyyyyyyy was it good. The sauce is unreal. I ended up freezing half of this and John and I decided when we make it next time it must be made with egg noodles or mashed potatoes or something that can sop up all the saucy goodness. Even Landon was loving this (then again he's a big meat eater- HOW is he my kid?! He definitely did not inherit my tastes in food). I really need you to all make this- stat. It's one of my favorite meals to date.


Source: My friend Liz (not sure of it's origin)

Ingredients:
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 package onion soup mix
2 1/2 lb to 3 lb pot roast
1 chopped onion
2 cups baby carrots

Directions:

1- Place onions and carrots on the bottom of the crock pot. Trim fat off pot roast and put it in the crock pot. 
2-Mix first 5 ingredients and pour over the brisket and vegetables. 
3- Cook in crock pot on low for 10 hours.

5 comments:

  1. I love a good pot roast. Yours sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe sounds delish and I'm absolutley making it this weekend. How much brown sugar? 1/2 cup?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was great. Perfectly tender and the gravy was great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was delicious! I flagged it when you posted it and tried it yesterday--yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so good! Perfect comfort meal during the winter! With a scoop of mashed potatoes this soaks up all the sauce and fills me up. Will absolutely make this again!

    ReplyDelete