Thursday, September 12, 2013

Tomato and Basil Skillet Chicken



Once September hits I go into full blown fall mode. I am so over summer... so.over.summer. Ugh. Yet, the weather is still hot and therefore I still am enjoying many of the summer flavors rather than fully transitioning to fall (however I can assure you that change will happen soon!). This dinner was really the result of having a container of grape tomatoes that needed to be used up and a big bunch of basil. It's so simple to make and is really delicious. I personally enjoyed watching the tomatoes explode in my skillet. I'm a little twisted like that I suppose, but I enjoyed watching the skin of the tomato split and brown before it would finally pop. Therapeutic after a long day, I tell you. John and I both loved this and felt it was a nice flavorful. meal. I served it over spaghetti with oil, garlic, and parmesan, but I think it would be good over rice or polenta as well!

Source: Stephanie Cooks Original

Ingredients:
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 pound chicken tenders, diced into 1" pieces
1/2 tsp garlic salt
pepper
1 pint grape tomatoes
2 tbsp butter
20 basil leaves, sliced thin
1/4 cup fresh parmesan cheese

Directions:
1- Heat the oil in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.
2- Meanwhile, season the chicken with garlic salt and pepper. Add it to the skillet and cook until browned on both sides. Remove from the heat, cover, and set aside.
3- Add the tomatoes to the pan and turn the heat up. Allow them to heat over high heat until the skin on the tomatoes begins to char. Apply slight pressure to the tomatoes until they pop.
4- Add the butter and basil to the skillet. Simmer the butter, basil, and tomatoes over low heat for about 1 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
5- Add the chicken back to the skillet and stir until heated through. Serve over rice, pasta, or polenta. Top with cheese.

1 comment:

  1. I like watching tomatoes burst too. Sounds and looks like a really tasty dish.

    ReplyDelete