Friday, August 30, 2013

August Recipe Re-Make Recap

August is over (well, sorta, there's one more day, but you know... it's basically over). September is one of my favorite months of the year. I love the start of a new school year, apples, my birthday (yahoo!), cooler weather, and plenty of other things. I'd say August is one of my least favorite months of the year due to heat, the back-to-school rush of getting my room set up, my son returning to daycare, and several other things. So needless to say, I'm totally cool with saying goodbye to August and welcoming in September. Peace out August!

This month I remade a few things, not too many, but a few! My cooking really slows down in the summer. I do a lot of super simple things that don't make it to the blog (sauteed pierogies, quesadillas, frozen pizza) so there's not that much to write about! What I did make was delicious though, so here we go.


This yogurt dip has been remade almost daily. I kid you not. My son eats this for a snack or as part of his lunch/dinner almost daily. The kid needs calories and protein, so adding some Sunbutter to his yogurt is a winner. He loves dipping in it, or eating it with a spoon.


I also remade this revolutionary macaroni and cheese for Landon. When I make it for him I don't bake it, and honestly I think I like it better not baked! Lately he isn't big on pasta so this wasn't a huge hit with him but I enjoyed it.


For some reason I discovered I had three cans of creamed corn in my pantry (?!?!?!) so I decided to put it to use and make this crockpot southwestern corn soup. I ended up not eating it because I went out with friends but John had it for lunch at work a couple times and enjoyed it just as much this time as the first time.


Knowing me, you know it's not a recap without pizza. I turned to my trusty favorite, BBQ chicken pizza. Again I used cheddar and mozzarella which is my new favorite, plus parmesan cheese. I could eat this weekly if I had to.


Even though I loathe summer and could do without it, I do love the fresh tomatoes and basil that come with this season. I took advantage and used them for this baked ravioli caprese. Just as good as the last time I made it and perfect for an easy weeknight meal.


Another great use for the summer produce is this peach and vidalia onion tomato sauce. We went to a local orchard and I was pulled in by the ripe juicy peaches, so I grabbed the rest of the ingredients for this sauce and got to work. I gave some to my sister and her now fiancee (yay!) and they used it for chicken. It's such a versatile recipe! I also pureed it smooth for Landon (and my sister) who won't eat it with chunks.


Last but not least I made a very non-summery recipe of San Giorgio baked ziti for a small dinner gathering I had with family. My aunt happened to come by to see my house and my sister's. I've been in my house 5 years but my sister just bought her house a few months ago so my aunt came by to see them both. This is such an easy, crowd pleasing meal. Everyone loves baked ziti- well, everyone but John... but hey, wcha gonna do!

2 comments:

  1. Great idea to add SunButter to yogurt. Of course I appreciate the idea since I blog for SunButter, but also as a fellow mom who likes to try new recipes, I can't wait to try a few of these. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete