Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Crockpot Southwestern Corn Soup


Let me tell you something- this recipe far surpassed all of my expectations. I threw everything in the crockpot in the morning and all day I was thinking the soup would be pretty "meh." I'm not sure what made me doubt this recipe but I just wasn't holding out too much hope. Imagine my surprise when I lifted the lid from the crockpot, stuck my finger in (yes- finger- don't judge... I washed it, and it's my soup!), and realized that my soup wasn't "meh," rather it was delicious! John ate it hours after me and he too was obsessed. He even brought it up a couple days later. That is a good sign people, a very good sign. This was perfect when paired with a simple cheese quesadilla... I'm already planning on making this dinner again next week!

Serves 2

Source: Heavily adapted from Food.com

Ingredients:
1 (15 oz) can cream style corn
1 medium russet potato, peeled and chopped small
1/2 small yellow onion, diced
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1/2 cup chunky salsa

1/2 cup milk
2 tbsp butter

Directions:
1- Combine the first 7 ingredients in the crockpot. Cook on low 7-9 hours.
2- Add the milk and butter, turning the heat up to high and allowing it to cook an additional hour. Stir well- serve hot.

8 comments:

  1. I'm so glad this worked out for you! It does look very delicious. Love all the ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a new commenter but a long time reader. I'm wondering what size crockpot do you use? Like you, I'm only cooking for two and I think this would be the perfect amount for us.
    Thank you
    Chel in AZ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chel!

    I used my regular 6 qt BUT I put the ingredients inside an oven safe covered dish that was probably 2-3 qts and stuck that inside my crockpot. I do that for almost every meal I make in it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makes clean up a lot easier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think anything you make would ever turn out "meh!" I just mixed this up for the crockpot this morning as a side for a gathering tonight (serving with pulled pork sandwiches). Thank you so much for sharing your talents!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking for more crock pot recipes. This looks great. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I forgot to put this in my crockpot this am :( Can I do it on the stove tonight in an hour? Would it taste good?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Neeta- It should be fine on the stovetop. It might not have the same depth of flavor but it'll be good.

    ReplyDelete