Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Crockpot Ropa Vieja


You know how certain things in life will always remind you of something else? For example, Little Caesar's pizza (which I just found out still exists!) will always remind me of summer days by my pool. Sunflowers will always remind me of my third grade teacher. And this meal, this delicious crock pot dinner, will always remind me of Hurricane Sandy. I threw this in the crock pot that morning and figured I'd be fine. In the 14 years my development has existed they never lost power. I wasn't expecting us to lose power (let alone for ELEVEN DAYS!) so I made a meal that requires power for 8 hours. I remember watching the storm pick up in intensity while simultaneously watching the dial on my crock pot and wondering if we were going to make it. Obviously we did. We ate, enjoyed this delicious dinner, and marveled at how powerful Mother Nature is in a world where we think we are in control of so much, and yet are truly in control of so little. And promptly after washing the dishes, the power left. While this meal will always remind me of a painful time in my state's history, I can assure you it will not prevent me from remaking it. I am not a red meat kind of girl but I loved this. It was so delicious and flavorful. I can't say enough about it, except that I think everyone should try it.

Source: I Was Born To Cook (only change I made was to halve the recipe)

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 pounds london broil
1 1/2 cups beef broth
1 1/2 cans (12 oz) tomato sauce
1 large onion, sliced
1 green pepper, seeded and sliced
5 cloves garlic, chopped
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar

Directions:
Add vegetable oil to a hot skillet, followed by meat. Cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side.

Place meat in crockpot, then pour in tomato sauce and beef broth, followed by all other ingredients. Stir until well blended. Cook on high for about 4 hours, or on low for about 8-9 hours.

Remove meat, shred.

No comments:

Post a Comment