Friday, June 1, 2012

Peanut Butter Smores Bars


It's funny how big of a role food plays in my life. Really it's a HUGE aspect of my daily activity. Between my love of cooking, my love of blogging, the basic human need to eat, and now making homemade baby food for Landon, it seems that food is overtaking my life. Ironically food has also rekindled an old friendship of mine from my high school days. My friend Natalie and I started messaging one another about cooking on facebook a little over a year ago after 8 years of no contact and our message thread is now over 7,000 messages. Yes, 7,000. No, they're not all about food, but I'd say 6,959 of them mention food. We're not obsessed. Not one bit.

Anyway, one day I realized that for all our talk about food we never actually ate one another's food! Whenever we got together we'd go out to eat so really we needed to get together once and cook. We met up on Memorial Day and each brought various components for a picnic. One of the things I brought were these bars. I think the picture really sells them, but incase you need convincing, these were extremely good. I never use marshmallow fluff but I really should- it's so fun and mushy-gushy. Yum! Try these- there's not one thing I can say except "Make these and make them now!"

Source: Adapted from The Sweet Life

Ingredients:
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
16 peanut butter cups, regular sized
1 1/2 cup marshmallow fluff

Directions:
1- Preheat the oven to 350. Spray the bottom of an 8x8 dish with cooking spray. Combine the butter, oil, and sugars in mixing bowl. Stir well. Once stirred, mix in the egg and vanilla.
2- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and graham cracker crumbs. Mix into the butter mixture, stirring well.
3- Spread 2/3 of the cookie batter into the dish, pushing down well and spreading evenly.
4- Lay the peanut butter cups in even spacing over the cookie dough, pressing gently into the cookie. Top with the fluff, spreading evenly. Top with the remaining cookie dough. Using a rubber spatula spread the cookie dough over the top of the fluff (it's ok if it doesn't cover it perfectly).
5- Bake 30 minutes. Allow to cool at least 2 hours to set, then slice and remove from the pan.

2 comments:

  1. This recipe was worth the wait. I can't wait to make it!!
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great for summer parties! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete