Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Tomato Chicken Noodle Soup


Here's a little peek at a text conversation John and I had this past week:

Me: I don't want to cook. Everything I like has dairy.
John: If you don't cook you're choices are Chinese or cheese free pizza. That's going to get old quickly.
Me: I know... but I still don't want to. Humph.

Yup... I was being a brat. I think it's that whole "you want what you can't have" thing. After a bit of time an all day battle of walking to my pantry and walking back to my couch I decided to just throw some stuff together and make a soup. Always a good option, right? This soup came out great. I had a little bit of chicken left in the fridge to use up so I decided to get crafty and came up with this. It was pretty tasty for a last minute idea if I do say so myself! John and I both enjoyed it, he even declared it a dairy-free success story.

Source: Stephanie Cooks Original

** I used a packet of Swanson Flavor Boost which adds a lot of sodium to the soup. It also adds a ton of flavor so I highly recommend it. If you do not use one you will need to add salt. 

Ingredients:
1 14 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
3 cups chicken broth
1 packet Swanson Flavor Boost (optional but recommended)
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp dried parsley
1 cup shredded cooked chicken
1/3 cup dry broken angel hair pasta

Directions:
1- Preheat the oven to 350.
2- Pour the can of tomatoes into a dutch oven or oven safe pot. Bake, covered, for about 35 minutes.
3- Mash the tomatoes with a spoon or potato masher. Pour the broth, Swanson Flavor Boost (if using), pepper, and parsley into the tomatoes and heat over medium heat. After about ten minutes add the chicken and angel hair. Cook until the pasta is cooked thoroughly.
4- Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment