Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Peanut Butter & Jelly Stuffed French Toast


John and I are big fans of breakfast for dinner. I don't do it often but every time I do I wonder why I don't do it more often. When I saw this recipe I immediately added it to our weekly menu. John is a huge fan of PB&J as well as french toast so I was sure it'd be a winner. When we were eating John took his first bite and goes, "This is different... Strange... Very good!!!" He clearly went through the gamete of emotions before deciding he liked it. By the end of the meal he was praising it and saying he was anxious to have it again. I must mention this is very filling. I only ate half of my plate, which worked out to be half a sandwich. I imagine this would be a huge hit with kids, how could it not be? Give this a shot- it's great for any meal of the day!

Source: Heavily adapted from Heat Oven to 350

Yields 2-3 servings

Ingredients:
6 slices cinnamon swirl bread
Peanut butter
Jelly
1 tbsp butter
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk or cream
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Directions:
1- Using the bread, peanut butter, and jelly, make 3 pb&j sandwiches. Slice the sandwiches in half, set aside.
2- Meanwhile beat the eggs, milk/cream, and cinnamon together in a shallow dish.
3- Melt the butter in a nonstick skillet. Once it melts dip the sandwiches in the egg mix, flipping to coat both sides, and cook until the bread is nicely golden. Serve with syrup.

3 comments:

  1. Tasty and filling. It was like two of my favorite comfort foods got together and had a party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just saw this on pinterest!! can't wait to try it tomorrow morning for breakfast!! thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made an adaptation of this (added vanilla extract to the batter, omitted cinnamon) and my 15 y/o brother ate 3 servings. He adored it.

    ReplyDelete