Friday, December 16, 2011

Southwestern Pasta and Cheese


Before the baby came I made several meals to freeze for days when I just couldn't make dinner. This was one of the meals that I made, figuring it looked like something that would freeze nicely. Now, for some reason it didn't connect to me that "pasta and cheese" was essentially "macaroni and cheese." I was shocked when I saw the end results, which really is quite scary on my part since the title is pretty self-evident. Yes- I know, it's sad that I was shocked considering the title and the method of preparation, but I was. For some reason I thought the sauce would be lighter. However macaroni and cheese is never a bad surprise, right? This was very filling and hearty- John and I both could only handle a small portion of it. With that said, the leftovers were great and we're both looking forward to when I pull the tray of this out of the freezer.

Source: Slightly adapted from Krista's Kitchen

Ingredients:
3-1/3 cups uncooked bow tie pasta
1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
8 green onions, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil 
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
2-1/4 cups milk
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro


Directions

1- Cook pasta according to package directions.
2- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute pepper and onions in oil untiltender. Stir in the flour, chili powder, chipotle pepper, salt and cumin until blended. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in 1/4 cup cheeseuntil melted. 
3- Drain pasta; toss with sauce. Stir in cilantro. Transfer to a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. 

1 comment:

  1. I've made this before and as I remember we really liked it. But I do remember it being pretty heavy -- especially with the bacon in the original recipe. I need to make this again!

    ReplyDelete