Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Crockpot Chicken and Wild Rice


I'm going to be honest with you- this meal was a complete and utter mistake. A delicious mistake, but a mistake. It was supposed to be soup. Cream of chicken and wild rice soup. But... it doesn't look at all like soup to me... how about you? No? Ok... moving on.

The crockpot is my best friend these days. It's super easy for me to throw ingredients in it and let it go while I tend to my beautiful newborn son. I had seen a recipe for chicken and wild rice soup on pinterest as well as this version from Lauren's Latest and decided to combine the two and throw it in the crockpot. While the end results are not soup (in any way shape or form) it was delicious! John described it perfectly- it tasted like risotto. Risotto that I didn't have to do any work for. Best of all it made a lot so I froze a huge chunk of this for us for another night. The crockpot and the freezer... a new mom's two best friends!

Source: Stephanie Cooks Original

Ingredients:
4 cups chicken broth
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup with Garlic (or the original if you can't find it)
1 6 oz box Uncle Ben's Wild Rice mix, rice and seasoning packet*
1/2 cup baby carrots, diced small
6 ounces cooked chicken

Directions:
1- Combine the broth, canned soup, rice and seasoning packet, and carrots in the crockpot. Cook on low for 5 hours.
2- Stir in the cooked chicken and allow it to cook for an additional 30 minutes.
3- Stir well and serve hot.

*I took the advice from Lauren's blog (linked above) and bought this specific brand of rice. As she explained the seasoning packet is responsible for the flavor of the dish, so I can't attest to how it would be if you used a different type.

10 comments:

  1. This sounds very tasty! I am hoping it's less like risotto and more like just a chicken rice dish, only because I dislike risotto. Perhaps it's the aborio (sp?) rice in it that I don't like.

    Either way, I am going to bookmark this to try! Hope motherhood is treating you well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wondering if you could use a raw chicken breast instead of 6 oz cooked chicken? Seems it would be fine since it cooks for 5 hours. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes definitely! Just put it in at the beginning instead of stirring it in at the end. I used cooked because I had it but I'd probably just use raw if I didn't!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love an easy meal like this, I LURVE my slow cooker too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love crockpot meals! This one looks great! And your son is adorable! Also, visit me over at The Savvy Kitchen (www.savvykitchen.blogspot.com) to enter my giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any idea what you did to make yours more like rice than soup? I made this today (smells delicious!) hoping for something like yours and I most definitely have soup, which seems right for the 4c broth to 6oz rice ratio. Did you add 16 oz rice perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisae- No it was definitely 6 oz. I agree with you, it should be soup- that's what I was going for lol, but mine came out like rice. I used a 6 qt crock pot... that's the only variable I can think of!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww shucks. Ok, thanks! Looks pretty good in soup form too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I used raw chicken breasts, how many should I use??

    ReplyDelete