Monday, December 26, 2011

Apple Cider Waffles


I know apple season is long gone. I know you're seeing this and thinking, "Ok... you're a few months late with this..." but throw away your preconceived notions of "seasonal recipes" because I have to share this recipe. You see, John is on an apple cider kick lately so we constantly have fresh apple cider in the house. Because of that when I saw this recipe pop up I knew I needed to make it. Originally I wanted to make this for John on his birthday but I couldn't get it together in time so I decided to do them later on in the week. The original recipe calls for making these into pancakes but I was feeling lazy so I pulled out my trusty waffle iron and make them into waffles. DE-LISH. They tasted cinnamon-y and comforting. I don't know if the apple flavor really was the star, I'd say it was more the cinnamon, but they were still incredible. We were big fans and it made for a great special breakfast for my special husband.

Source: Adapted from So Tasty, So Yummy

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 egg
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1/3 cup milk
1 cup apple cider

Directions:
1- In a mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Stir well.
2- Beat in the egg, oil, milk, and cider.
3- Set aside and let stand 5 minutes while heating your waffle iron.
4- Spray the waffle iron and cook according to waffle iron directions.

Yields approximately 5 waffles.

2 comments:

  1. I love apple cider - these are a great idea! We're tired of the same old pancake and waffle recipes so this would be so cool to try! I'm with you - I make "seasonal" recipes anytime my husband and I crave them, who cares? :o) Hope you and yours had a great Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We added 1 apple that we shredded on a cheese grater. It upped the apple taste and made them PERFECT!

    ReplyDelete