Monday, October 3, 2011

Pesto Chicken Alfredo Casserole


I mentioned before that I have a list of recipes I am dying to make in the fall. This recipe comes from that list of "must makes." When I saw it over the summer I knew we'd love it but it felt too... heavy... for summer. So as soon as September hit (even though it was still over 80 degrees out...) I busted out this recipe and got to work. You see, dinner on weeknights has before a huge hassle. I'm tired, I don't even care if I eat let alone what I eat, and often I am just so ready to get the whole cooking thing over with. Recipes like this are perfect for those situations. This meal was delicious. We both loved it and thoroughly enjoyed the meal. I froze most of it for after the baby comes and I'm already quite excited to eat it again.

Just a tip, if you are going to use jarred alfredo sauce I love Classico's alfredo sauce. I typically make my own but that would defeat the purpose of this easy meal so I did some internet research and saw Classico's sauce gets the best ratings. I really liked it and didn't feel it tasted fake or overly heavy either!

Source: Adapted from Cassie Craves

Ingredients:
1 pound uncooked rotini
1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
1 7 oz jar roasted red peppers, drained and diced small
1 cup pesto sauce
1 jar Alfredo sauce (small/medium sized- not too large)
1/4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese

Directions:
1- Preheat the oven to 350. Cook pasta according to directions. Drain and return to the pot. Stir in the chicken, red peppers, pesto, and alfredo sauce.
2- Spoon the ingredients into a large oven safe dish. Sprinkle the cheese over the top.
3- Cover and bake for 35 minutes. Serve hot

**Freezer tip- assemble up to step 2. Allow to cool completely and freeze. When ready to bake, defrost and complete step 3.

4 comments:

  1. This looks great, I love pesto! I'll be posting pesto rolled chicken sometime this week:) Thanks for the 1-2-3 meal idea

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great, I love pesto and Hubby loves alfredo sauce! This could be showing up soon on our table soon, thanks Steph:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you liked this, Stephanie! And I'm with you: Classico is the best for jarred sauce. That's what I used to make this, too. :)

    I love that you froze some for after the baby comes. Having frozen meals on hand after my boys were born was a Godsend. You are going to be so thankful for your stockpile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in serious need of easy recipes! This will be perfect!!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete