Monday, September 12, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars


Do you ever just feel lazy? And I don't mean your standard "it's been a long day and I want to rest" lazy. I mean the kind of lazy where you wake up, the sun is shining, it's a beautiful 72 degree day, the rest of the world is out "doing", and you just want to lay on your couch? Ok- because sometimes I get lazy like that... and I don't want to be alone. So please, join me in making the lazy-man's cookies. Bar cookies. You mix, you throw it in a pan, and you let it go.

I know I make a lot of chocolate chip cookie recipes on here and I hope you don't mind, but it probably won't stop. Sure, I make fancier cookies too, but there is just nothing like a chocolate chip cookie. And when you're being lazy, a chocolate chip cookie bar. These were so delicious. I mean, SO delicious. At first I followed the recipe to a T and took them out, let them cool, and quickly saw they were still raw. I was desperate to save them so I stuck my raw cookies back in the dish (it was like putting a puzzle together, by the way) and baked them for an additional 10 minutes. I was desperate- don't judge me. I'm sure this is breaking some major baking rule, "Thou shall not rebake unbaked cookies", but it worked. So take that. And they were incredible. My advice? Make sure they're done before you pull them out. I needed 10 more minutes of bake time than the recipe calls for, so be sure to double check. Or you can just eat the raw-ish cookies, believe me, the thought crossed my mind.

Source: Real Mom Kitchen

Ingredients:
2 1/8 cups (10 1/2 ounces) all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
12 tablespoons butter (1 1/2 sticks), melted and cooled slightly
1 cup (7 ounces) light brown sugar
1/2 (3 1/2 ounces) cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups chocolate chips



Directions:

  1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. 
  2. Line a 9X13-inch baking pan with foil, letting the excess hang over the edges of the pan by about 1 inch so you can grab those edges and pull the brownies from the pan after they have baked. Spray the foil-lined pan with nonstick cooking spray.
  3. Mix the flour, salt, and baking soda together in medium bowl; set aside. Whisk the melted butter and sugars in a large bowl until combined. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and mix well.
  4. Using a rubber spatula, fold the dry ingredients into the egg mixture until just combined; do not overmix. Fold in the chocolate chips and turn the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with the spatula.
  5. Bake until the top of the bars is light golden brown, slightly firm to the touch, and edges start pulling away from sides of pan, 24-28 minutes. (Mine took almost 35- check them). Cool on a wire rack to room temperature.
  6. Remove the bars from the pan by lifting the foil overhang and transfer them to a cutting board. Cut into 2-inch squares and serve.

2 comments:

  1. These are right up my alley Stephanie. I get lazy like that all the time. You're not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so ironic...I totally feel lazy today and it's a gorgeous fall day outside. I feel guilty, but I'm just having a lazy day. Wish I had these to munch on! :)

    ReplyDelete