Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Slow Roasted Tomato Pesto Pasta


I remember a few years ago I was watching The Food Network when Rachel Ray introduced me to the amazing world of slow roasted tomatoes. I've slow roasted just about every type of tomato there is, but by far the tastiest are grape/cherry tomatoes. John, who really doesn't like tomatoes, eats them up as well. They really bring out the flavor and it has so much "juice." This pasta was awesome, the combo of pesto and tomato made for such a delicious dinner. Top it with parmesan cheese and it was an amazing meal. Even if you don't love tomatoes (like John!) slow roasting them takes them to another level. I'd be surprised if anyone didn't like slow roasted tomatoes, so give them a shot!

Source: Stephanie Cooks Original

Ingredients:
1 pint cherry tomatoes
Olive oil
Salt
5 ounces chicken
Garlic powder
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup pesto
1/2 pound angel hair pasta
Parmesan cheese

Directions:
1- Preheat the oven to 250.
2- Wash the tomatoes, slice them in half, and lay them in an even layer on a foil lined baking pan.
3- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
4- Bake until the tomatoes shrivel and "pop", about 20-25 minutes.
5- Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to a boil and cook the angel hair according to directions.
6- Cut the chicken into pieces, toss with garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
7- Add some olive oil to a skillet, about 2 tbsp, and cook the chicken until cooked through. Remove from the pan and set aside.
8- Once the tomatoes are cooked, add them to a bowl and mash them with a potato masher or a fork, until they break apart and their juice comes loose. Pour the smashed tomatoes into the skillet.
9- Add the pesto, heat the tomato pesto mixture over medium/high heat. Add the angel hair and chicken, tossing until all is evenly coated.
10- Serve with parmesan cheese to taste.

6 comments:

  1. I've never slow roasted tomatoes. This sounds really good!

    I'm having my first giveaway on my blog, just thought I'd let you know in case you wanted to enter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would eat pesto on just about anything (cardboard, whatever...) but it does look especially good with those slow roasted tomatoes over pasta. Yum, I can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Definitely going to give this a try this week. I'll let you know how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I've only slow roasted tomatoes once. This looks really good though, so I'll have to do it for this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love anything with pesto so I was excited to try this meal. I had to cook the tomatoes a little longer than the recipe specified but the end result was great. Thank you for a great new meal to add to the rotation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one is going on my meal plan for the week. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete