Monday, April 25, 2011

Eggplant Parmesan Panini


Chicken. Pasta. Chicken. Pasta. Pizza. <--- Look familiar? Yeah- that's my weekly dinner menu.

Now and then I get so sick of this routine that I decide to shake it up and go in a totally different direction. When that happens I think of three things: breakfast, appetizer night, or sandwiches. I love paninis and much prefer them to their cold counterpart, the sandwich. I made these the other night just using what I had on hand and they came out great. Really, no major recipe here- just some basic ingredients thrown together! Serve it with a nice salad (or a bag of chips- I won't judge) and you are in for an easy, delicious meal!

Source: Stephanie Cooks Original

Ingredients:

Ciabatta bread
Olive oil
Eggplant cutlets, breaded and cooked
Marinara sauce
Sliced mozzarella cheese
Torn basil

Directions:
1- Using a pastry brush, brush the outside of the ciabatta bread with olive oil.
2- Slice open. Using a spoon, spoon a thin layer of marinara sauce on each side of the bread.
3- Top with breaded eggplant cutlets on one side. Layer with slices of mozzarella cheese, more marinara sauce, and some torn basil.
4- Replace with the other slice of bread.
5- Place on a lightly heated grill pan. Press down gently and allow to heat, about 3-4 minutes. Flip, grilling both sides. Serve hot.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this idea---we're always on the hunt for new paninis! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete