Thursday, February 17, 2011

Cheddar Wafers


A couple weeks ago I sat down on the couch, exhausted, and proclaimed that I was "Sick of cooking and NEEDED a break!" John, being the love that he is, said "Ok babe- take a week off. No cooking, just relax." I agreed that maybe a break was needed. I had just made a few orders of cookies with royal icing for party favors, make a huge meal for my mom's birthday, meals for my beautiful new niece's birth, plus all the regular cooking for John and I. Well... let me tell you how long my break lasted. AN HOUR. Yes- 1 hour. I sat on the couch, threw my feet up, and then the "itch" hit. I immediately threw on my apron, got in the kitchen (aka my mecca) and made these cheddar wafers. Needless to say I didn't need a break... and I'm slightly addicted to mushing flour with my hands.

These cheddar wafers were fun to make. I have been trying to make more and more of John's snacks for work from scratch rather than packing him pre-made goodies. I typically have a formula for what I pack John and aside from nuts I always pack something crackery or chipy (yup...those "y"s again... sorry). These fit the bill nicely. And get inventive- if you don't have a small cookie cutter (which I didn't have) use any small circular shape. I used the top of a squeeze bottle that I use for my royal icing.
These had a subtle cheese taste. Next time I might up the seasonings, but even with the amounts listed they were great. A nice alternative to preservative laden crackers. Give it a try.

Also, don't forget to enter my giveaway! It ends on Saturday the 19th at midnight. You can enter here.

Source: Eat, Live, Run

Ingredients:
1 stick butter, melted
2 eggs
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. ground pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 cups all purpose flour

Directions:
1- Preheat the oven to 350.
2- Whisk together the butter and eggs. Add the cheese. Stir well. Add the baking powder, garlic powder, peppers, salt, and flour. Mix well.
3- Roll the dough out on a floured surface to 1/4 inch thickness.
4- Using a small cookie cutter, cut the dough. Place on a baking sheet covered with a silpat or parchment paper.
5- Reroll the scraps and cut until all the crackers are formed.
6- Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden.

Makes about 3 dozen wafers.

6 comments:

  1. These look so good I seriously want to grab them right out of my computer screen. I cannot wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great! I've been wanting to make homemade crackers for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. those look sooo good! i def want to make those SOON. thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Stephanie! I just stumbled upon your blog while googling "buffalo chicken pizza", and I haven't been able to stop perusing your wonderful recipes, and pictures. Everything, including these delectable cheddar wafers, looks fabulous! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. MMMMM, these look so good! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to try them out. It has been a long time since I had some cheddar at home.

    ReplyDelete