Saturday, January 15, 2011

Pan-Roasted Garlic and Lemon Chicken


Growing up breaded chicken cutlets were on the menu almost weekly. I have probably eaten more breaded chicken cutlets than any other food in my life. My mom had a tough job as the cook in our house- nobody ate the same foods. So when she found something we'd eat she stuck with it. Can you blame her?

The other day I was in the mood for breaded chicken. It just sounded good. And since I make breaded chicken once a month, maybe, I decided to go all out and cook this the good way- with oil on the stove. Oh babbbyyyyyy. Go big or go home.


This chicken was awesome. Simply put, it's awesome. (I read recently that you should never use the word "awesome" to describe food- it's not descriptive... well pshhh, I'm ignoring that- it's AWESOME.) I loved the lemon taste, it was nice and fresh. It offered a light contrast to the breaded crust. This is just a great way to spruce up breaded chicken and to me that's exciting.
... Juicy lemon-  be still my heart...

Source: Elly Says Opa!
Ingredients:

2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 fat cloves garlic, peeled and slightly smashed
1 lemon, halved
1 egg
1/3 cup breadcrumbs
2 Tbsp. romano or parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp. chopped rosemary
2 chicken breast halves, pounded to about 1/3 – 1/2″ thickness
Directions:
Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat and add the oil.  Once the oil is hot, add the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and soft, about 7 minutes.  Remove the garlic with a slotted spoon, and keep the oil in the pan.
Zest half the lemon into a dish or bowl, and to it add the breadcrumbs, cheese, rosemary, and salt and pepper to taste.
Crush the browned garlic cloves and whisk in a separate shallow bowl/dish along with the egg and juice from half the lemon.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper.  Dip the chicken into the egg mixture, and then dredge into the breadcrumb mixture.
Heat the garlic oil over medium heat and once hot, add the chicken.  Cook until done, about 2.5  minutes per side.  Serve with slices or wedges of the remaining half lemon.

12 comments:

  1. sounds yummy but trying for healthier (not fried or breaded) any suggestions for oven baked lemon/garlic chicken breasts?..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, if you want to make it healthier you can make a marinade of some EVOO, garlic, onion powder, and maybe Italian seasonings, and of course the lemon juice. Let it sit for about an hour, then bake it in the marinade (The chicken will look somewhat cooked- white- from marinading in the lemon juice, but don't worry- that's normal). But that's a totally different recipe.

    If you want to make this healthier you can just bake it- the breading is so minimal- a couple tbsp. of breading per chicken breast. I think without the breading you're really making a totally different meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. is this two servings?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks fantastic! Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes- 2 servings. I used 2 5oz chicken breasts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you liked the chicken. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We watch Everybody Loves Raymond on DVD all the time. Deborah always makes lemon chicken, and my hubs has been requesting it! Perhaps, I will make him these!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made this for dinner last night and it was delicious! Definitely a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made this for dinner one night last week, we loved it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. this looks DELICIOUS and refreshing! i may try to use panko and see if that works

    ReplyDelete
  11. loved it! delicious and tasty.I made this because I didn't have enough roasted chicken for dinner, so I unfroze some chicken breasts and searched for a tasty and healthy chicken recipe.I'd say I found it! I used a bit less oil in frying so I could keep them warm in the oven without the crust getting soggy. Made my own bread crumbs, and omitted the cheese/lemon didn't have any.enough for 7 people (cut the breast small and thin) Thank you Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  12. my mom used to make this when i was in third grade. now that i have my own family i wanted to make it for them. since my mother and i no longer have contact i couldnt ask her. i looked everywhere on the web looking for this recipe. i cook it all the time now and it tastes exactly the way it used to when i was a little girl. thank you

    ReplyDelete