Monday, December 27, 2010

Chicken and Mushroom Ragu


Ok, I'm like a kid on Christmas morning. I can't wait to show off my pictures using my new lighting so instead of posting every other day like I normally do I am posting another recipe today. What can I say, patience isn't my best quality. I want to post my new pictures now ::stamps feet up and down:: I'm happy to report this will be my last yellow toned picture! WOO HOO!

I really enjoyed this dinner. When I hear "ragu" I always think of jarred sauce or meat sauce. Since I don't eat ground meat I had yet to make a ragu. When this recipe popped up in my google reader this summer I immediately starred it- I mean I LOVE every ingredient in this recipe, so what's not to love?

Low and behold there is nothing not to love. This was delicious. Best of all, it's very light and healthy for a pasta dish. Usually I halve recipes to avoid left overs but I knew this would make lovely left overs and sure enough it did. A perfect weeknight dinner- warm, comforting, healthy, and quick!

Source: Elly Says Opa


8 oz. cremini mushrooms
3 cloves garlic
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1.25 lbs. boneless/skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2″ pieces
1 small onion, chopped
3/4 tsp. chopped rosemary
3 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 (28 oz.) can whole peeled tomatoes
1/2 lb. pappardelle or fettucini
5 oz. baby arugula or spinach
Finely chop the mushrooms and mince the garlic, or put together into a food processor and pulse until combined.
Heat the oil in a saute pan/skillet over medium-high heat until shimmery.  Season chicken with salt and pepper and add to the hot oil.  Cook until just golden, about 3 minutes, and remove from pan with a slotted spoon.
Reduce heat to medium and cook the onion, about 3 minutes.
Add mushroom and garlic mixture, rosemary, and salt and pepper. Stir constantly  until beginning to brown, about 4 minutes.
Add vinegar and cook until evaporated.  Add chicken and tomatoes (with juice) and simmer, breaking up tomatoes with a spoon and stirring occasionally, until thick – about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta in salted boiling water until al dente.
Add arugula or spinach to the sauce and stir until just wilted.  Add the drained pasta and cook for 1 minute.

2 comments: