Monday, November 15, 2010

Bacon and Spinach Spirals


Sometimes I get into a rut with dinners. I'll find myself falling into a routine of making pasta, chicken, shrimp, pasta with chicken, etc. When this occurs I tend to make something "fun" like appetizers or breakfast for dinner. Enter these rolls.

John used to be obsessed with these things called Deli Spirals from Sam's Club. Now that I belong to Costco I don't have access to these little rolls so I made something similar for dinner. John LOVED these and I felt they were pretty good. If I were to make these again I wouldn't wilt the spinach all the way. Something about the spinach tasted... soggy... to me. And soggy is not good. I would just either put it in fresh or lightly wilt it. Definitely a great option for a night where you don't know what to make!

Source: Adapted from Baked Bree

Ingredients:
1/2 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 of a small red onion diced
1/2 bag of spinach
1/3 brick of cream cheese
2 Tablespoons minced cilantro
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
4 large flour tortillas
1/2 cup cheddar cheese
4 slices thick cut bacon cooked and crumbled


Directions:
In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, cilantro, salt and pepper.  In a saute pan, cook the red onion in the olive oil until soft.  Take the onions out of the pan and set aside.  Add the spinach and cook until lightly wilted.  Drain out the water.  Set that aside also.  Spread the cream cheese on a tortilla.   Sprinkle the red onions on the tortillas. Top with bacon, spinach and cheese.


Roll the tortillas up.  Put them in the fridge for an hour or more to firm up before you cut them. Cut off the ends and discard. Cut the rolls into even pieces.


Heat oven to 400. Bake at 400 for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve hot.





No comments:

Post a Comment