Sunday, September 12, 2010

Tomato and Zucchini Lasagna


If you've been reading my blog for some time now you have heard of my problems with produce. At the end of the week I'll have a bit of this and a bit of that- like 1/2 a tomato, 1/2 an onion, 2 heads of broccoli, and a 1/3 of a squash. Yup. This is my average week. Right after I dig through the produce draw I immediately try to figure out something to make with this randomness.

A few weeks ago I had a sad little zucchini and half an onion. Not too shabby considering my normal odds and ends but that zucchini was definitely on it's last leg. Enter this lasagna. To make this lasagna I used ingredients I had laying around and we were both happy with the results. I also like to "healthify" lasagna by adding veggies- it definitely makes it more appealing. I wish I had some spinach- that would have made this even better. Definitely a nice, easy lasagna recipe.

Source: Stephanie Cooks Original

Ingredients:
1 tbsp. EVOO
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1 zucchini, sliced thin
1 clove garlic, minced
1 14oz can diced tomatoes with Italian Seasonings
1 cup tomato sauce
8 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
1 cup part skim ricotta cheese
1/2 cup part skim mozzarella cheese, divided
1 egg white
1 tsp. Italian seasonings

Directions:
1- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2- Add the onion and saute until tender. Add the zucchini and garlic. Saute until cooked though.
3- Add the canned tomatoes and tomato sauce- heat thoroughly.
4- In a separate bowl combine the ricotta, 1/4 cup mozzarella, egg white, and Italian seasoning. Stir well.
5- In a square glass dish, spread an ever layer of the sauce/zucchini mixture. Top with one layer of noodles.
6- Top with a layer of cheese. Begin layering sauce, cheese, and noodles. Once you are done layering top with the last 1/4 cup mozzarella.
7- Bake for about 30 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly and the lasagna is heated through.
2- In a small skillet saute the olive oil with the onion

No comments:

Post a Comment