Sunday, July 11, 2010

Honey Oatmeal-Raisin Cookies


I am always amazed at how much my life has changed thanks to cooking. Cooking allows me to feed my husband and I healthy food and a fraction of the costs. I can make my own snacks, my own breads, my own crackers. I can control the ingredients that go into our dishes and know that we are eating healthy, well rounded diets. I used to bake and send all of the stuff in to my husband's work. I no longer do that (much to their dismay...) I now bake less but bake for a purpose. I try to bake healthier items that have more hearty ingredients. I still share with friends and family but I do try to bake less and bake better if you will.

These cookies were excellent. We loved them and everyone who tried them did as well. I added some chocolate chips to the original recipe and subbed another ingredient, but for the most part followed it to a T. These were loaded with healthier ingredients and made you feel good about eating a cookie. They were very soft and fluffy and held up well for over a week and a half! A real must try if you like oatmeal cookies.

Source: Adapted from Ellie Krieger via Food Network Magazine

Ingredients
Cooking spray
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup honey
1 large egg
1/4 cup smooth unsalted almond butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour (or 3/4 cup all-purpose and 1/2 whole-wheat flour)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup raisins
1/3 cup chocolate chips

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Mist 2 baking sheets with cooking spray. Beat the butter, canola oil, honey, egg, almond butter and vanilla extract in a large bowl with a mixer until combined.

In another bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir to combine. Stir in the oats, chocolate chips, and raisins.

Scoop tablespoonfuls of batter about 2 inches apart onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake until golden, about 12 minutes. Let the cookies cool 2 minutes on the baking sheets, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.

2 comments:

  1. These look really tasty! I've tried so many of Ellie Krieger's recipes and they are always so delicious. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had one- they were delicious!

    ReplyDelete