Sunday, July 25, 2010

Chicken Teriyaki Sandwiches


Nothing screams summer like grilled food and fresh fruit. So why not combine the two for a light and easy dinner? I had bought a cored pineapple from a specialty market and decided to slice some of it up but I still had a few rings left at that "do or die" point. This meal is really easy and doesn't even need a recipe, it's more or less just a technique. I used chicken tenders, you can use breasts, it really is completely up to you!

John raved and raved about this meal. He said it was one of the best dinners I've ever made. I wasn't sure whether to be happy or insulted- I have made some complex meals and THIS is his favorite?! However I couldn't be too mad- it really was THAT good. Give it a shot, you won't be disappointed.

Source: Stephanie Cooks Original

Ingredients:
1 pound chicken tenders (or thin sliced breasts)
3/4 cup garlic and green onion teriyaki sauce, divided (Kikkoman brand is good)
Pineapple rings
Provolone cheese
Whole wheat buns
Lettuce, tomato, red onion (optional)

Directions:
1- Place the chicken in a container with 1/2 cup of the teriyaki sauce. Stir to coat. Allow the chicken to marinade at least an hour, up to 24 hours.
2- Heat a grill or grill pan. Cook the chicken until cooked through. Using a basting brush apply the additional 1/4 cup of teriyaki sauce.
3- Meanwhile, when the chicken is almost done add the pineapple to the grill. Once grill lines appear flip the pineapple.
4- Assemble the buns with a slice of provolone on one side. Top with the chicken (2-3 tenders per sandwich) and a pineapple ring. Add lettuce, tomato, and onion (if desired.)

3 comments:

  1. mmmm looks so good! reminds me of a healthy version of the chicken burger I used to get at red robin. I am totally making these for dinner tomorrow night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these last night, yum! We will be doing this again!

    ReplyDelete