Monday, May 3, 2010

Baked Beans


Ok, I have a confession. I love baked beans. ::Exhale:: It's out in the public.

For some reason I think baked beans get a bad rap. I think it stems from childhood and children singing songs that start with "Beans, beans, they're good for your heart... the more you eat the more you..." I won't finish the jingle, we all know it, and I think years of hearing it as a kid has made me reluctant to admit I like them. Well I do- so there!

I have been really trying to get away from processed food as much as possible. Sure, you can't beat a box of Kraft macaroni and cheese from time to time, but for the most part I really try to cook from scratch for John and I. My main reason is that I LOVE the process. If you don't love cooking it is a chore and not one you look forward to, particularly when they make "perfectly good boxed versions" (that quote is from my mom, she tells me it often!) But I love the process, so I figure it's an experience I enjoy plus it results in healthier food for the hubs and I.

I figured this recipe was straight forward enough for my first go about with homemade baked beans. Sure enough, it was easy AND delicious. Even John liked it and he is hesitant when it comes to beans. I can't say I'll never use the canned kind again because I do like Bush's, but these are so tasty and MUCH healthier.

Source: Eat, Live, Run

Ingredients:
To serve 4:
1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 of a large yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp pure maple syrup
1 tbsp ketchup
1 tsp ground mustard
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 bay leaf
1 tsp hot sauce
8 oz tomato sauce
1 15 oz can cannelloni beans, drained and rinsed

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. In a cast iron skillet or non-stick skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the onions and sauté for about five minutes or until soft and translucent.
3. Add the garlic and sauté 30 seconds more.
4. Add the maple syrup, tomato sauce, salt, ground mustard, hot sauce and ketchup and simmer for five minutes.
5. Add the beans and bay leaf, stir, then cover the skillet with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes, stirring once during the baking process.
6. Allow to cool and serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment