Saturday, April 3, 2010

Sweet and Spicy Shrimp



John and I just returned from a wonderful vacation. We spent one night in Miami and then went on a cruise to Jamaica and the Cayman Islands. While we were in Miami we ate at Emeril's restaurant and I had an awesome appetizer. It was barbecue shrimp and I seriously wanted to lick the plate. The sauce was so thick and rich yet it had a really nice subtle kick to it. I have been dying to make shrimp that were spicy yet saucy ever since.

Now, I tend to be a bit of a condiment queen with many open bottles of sauces in the fridge. It is a bit of an obsession! I made this sauce by just using a little bit of this and that. It came out really good! The sauce was sweet but the shrimp had some serious kick from the cajun seasoning. I was thrilled with the end results! Best of all it takes less than 10 minutes to make and is super healthy and low in calories. A total winner in our house.

Source: Stephanie Cooks Original

Ingredients:
21 medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/3 tsp. Cajun seasoning (more or less to taste)
1 tbsp. tomato ketchup
1 tbsp. hoisin sauce
1 tbsp. A1 original sauce
Cooking spray

Directions:
1- Pat shrimp dry and sprinkle with the cajun seasoning.
2- Spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat it over medium heat.
3- Add the shrimp, allow them to cook through on one side and then flip.
4- Once the shrimp are cooked add the ketchup, hoisin, and A1. Stir well until combined.
5- Lower the heat to low and allow the sauce to heat through, about 1 minute.
6- Serve hot.

** 1 point per 7 shrimp

2 comments:

  1. these look so great and so simple. I don't eat fish other than shrimp. I love baby shrimp in rice or pasta, it's one of my favorites. This looks like a tasty one I will have to try!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good for an appetizer or a quick entree!

    ReplyDelete