Monday, April 5, 2010

Slow Roasted Tomato "Sauce"


I say this way too often about my own cooking, but this was AMAZING! The concept is simple enough but the taste is anything but simple. I was craving a big ol' bowl of angel hair but I wasn't in the mood for any type of sauce. I then remembered my new found love for slow roasted tomatoes and decided to give it a whirl and see how it turned out. And boy oh boy was I pleased! I will warn you though, this isn't a recipe for a weeknight. The tomatoes take 5.5 hours in the oven but don't let that discourage you! The work you have to do is minimal.

After I took the first bite I moaned. Out loud. Yup. I then ordered John to try it. He was too busy trying to find something to watch on TV and I kept begging him to stop and try it. I seriously almost ate my whole plate before he even took a bite. Have I raved enough about this?! It's that good. For John's portion I added some olive oil to the tomato mixture, so feel free to do that if you are interested. Top it with some fresh parm cheese and you are in for a real treat!

Source: Stephanie Cooks Original

Ingredients:
9 plum tomatoes, cut in half and scooped hallow
1 small onion, chopped into 8 pieces
3 cloves of garlic
salt
pepper
fresh basil (I used 4-5 leaves)

Directions:
1- Preheat the oven to 225.
2- Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
3- Lay the tomatoes out flat and sprinkle with an even layer of salt and pepper. Add the onions and whole garlic cloves to the pan.
4- Bake for 5.5 hours, flipping the mixture over 1/2 way though. Season the other side of the tomatoes with salt and pepper before returning them to the oven.
5- Once time is up, remove them from the oven and place the mixture in a large bowl. Use a potato masher to mash the tomatoes. Use a small knife to chop any big pieces.
6- Tear the basil leaves, toss in the mix, and stir.
7- Serve with pasta.

**0 points for 1/3 of the tomato mixture

3 comments:

  1. This looks really fresh and delicious. I grow tomatoes and basil in my garden in the summer and this will be a great recipe for me to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so pure and fresh! I have a silly question though- Do you use this sauce as spaghetti sauce? What do you use this for?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara- yea I used it as spaghetti sauce, I just tossed it was the pasta!

    ReplyDelete