Sunday, April 18, 2010

Italian Pasta Salad


I have mentioned here before that I love pasta salad. My standard pasta salad typically involves some type of pasta with assorted peppers, cheddar cheese, and Italian salad dressing. It's a classic combo that makes for a happy husband and a happy wife in our house. However, last weekend when I decided to make pasta salad I realized I had none of the ingredients needed to make my standard pasta salad! What's a girl to do?!

Well, I got creative and used what I had! I was deciding between going for an Asian inspired pasta salad or an Italian inspired one, and decided Italian went better with the rest of the meal. Don't worry- I intend to make the Asian one soon though! This pasta salad was really quite good and a nice change of pace. I was nervous that John would hate it since he is the biggest fan of my regular recipe, but even he loved this. My only regret was making so little that there were no leftovers and nothing to take to work the next day!

Source: Stephanie Cooks Original

Ingredients:
2 cups uncooked pasta (any small shape)
1 cup broccoli, cut into small florets
1/2 cup grape tomatoes, diced in 1/2
3-4 tbsp. parmesan cheese
Kraft Roasted red pepper Italian salad dressing

Directions:
1- Bring a pot of water to boil. Cook the pasta. In the last 2 minutes, throw in the broccoli.
2- Drain the pasta/broccoli mixture. Run under cold water.
3- Allow the mixture to cool completely.
4- Add the grape tomatoes and a few squirts of dressing. Toss well, store in the fridge to allow the tastes to marinade.
5- Right before serving add the parmesan cheese, stir well, and serve cold.

3 comments:

  1. Stephanie, after reading your post, I decided to get in the kitchen and try making my own pasta salad. I used some of your ingredients listed and threw in a couple of my own as well. Turned out great! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is soooo pretty. And I bet it tasted great. Another great idea!

    ReplyDelete