Thursday, April 29, 2010

Garlic Roasted Asparagus



I've said it before, but I am a reformed veggie hater. This time last year I was slowly improving, taking bites here and there of veggies. Go back 2 years and the only veggies I ate were lettuce and cucumbers. Needless to say the fact that I now eat primarily fruits and veggies is shocking and something I would have NEVER believed. Asparagus is one of my absolute favorite veggies. I am such a fan of this stuff. I find that whenever it is on sale they are so thick and woody, and I personally love the thin kind, so I never end up buying them. When I saw them on sale this week AND thin, I grabbed a bunch.

This recipe was easy peasy. It came together with no effort and was really quite excellent. I cut it in half for us and John and I ate the whole pound of asparagus between the two of us (well, there was a little bit left) but it was just that good. If you don't think you like asparagus, try this recipe. They are so tender and flavorful I'd find it hard to not like them!

Source: The Cooking Nurse, originally from Emeril

Ingredients:
2 pounds of asparagus, tough ends trimmed, rinsed and patted dry
3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
salt and pepper to taste
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 425 F. In a large bowl, combine the asparagus, olive oil, and garlic. Toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper, and toss. Lay asparagus out on baking sheet. Bake until asparagus are tender and lightly browned (15-20 minutes) depending on their thickness, stirring twice. Remove from oven and drizzle lemon juice over asparagus. Adjust the seasoning to taste. Serve warm or at room temperature.

2 comments:

  1. I love roasted asparagus. Actually, any vegetable is better when it's roasted or grilled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmmmm...I love asparagus! never thought to add lemon juice after roasting - that sounds amaze-balls! Must try!

    ReplyDelete