Saturday, February 6, 2010

Ma Po Shrimp



I love Mary Ellen's food blog. Most of her recipes are her own and I find that really inspirational. Also, she has so many interesting meals on her blog! I have made a few and never been disappointed. When I saw this shrimp recipe I immediately added it to my next weekly menu. These were so so good. I tamed the heat a lot and only used 2 teaspoons of chili garlic sauce instead of the 2 tablespoons. Even with less heat I still found this meal to be very flavorful. John and I greatly enjoyed this! Next time I would increase the amount of cornstarch to a tablespoon to help it thicken a bit more because my sauce didn't thicken up a lot but it was still mighty tasty.

Source: Mary Ellen's Cooking Creations

Ingredients
1/2 pound shrimp, deveined and cleaned
2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
3 green onions, chopped (accidentally omitted- mine went bad)
8 oz chicken broth
1-2 tbsp chili paste; this stuff is hot so it's up to you how much you use, I used 2 teaspoons
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp cornstarch mixed with 1 oz chicken broth

Directions

Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat; add garlic and onions, saute til tender
Add chili paste, soy sauce, and chicken broth; let simmer for 5 minutes
Add shrimp, cooking 1-2 minutes on each side until pink (since Jon likes heat I added another 1/2 tsp of chili paste with the shrimp)
Stir in the cornstarch mixture to thicken sauce
Serve over rice

** 3 points for 1/2 the recipe

2 comments:

  1. Lent is coming up - this recipe is going on my list right away - I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is AMAZING. I made it but with chicken and only a few subs - seriously the best ever. My husband said it really tasted like "a restaurant" - high praise!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete