Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Chicken Scallopini



I've mentioned this several times, but my friend and I have been taking cooking classes. We recently competed a "tour of Europe" and learned how to cook traditional Italian, French, and Spanish food. It was so interesting! Most of the Italian food was stuff I make or have had before but the French and Spanish meals were really outside my cooking comfort zone. I learned I really love French cooking and am dying to try a good French restaurant now! I am also majorly regretting not eating at that French restaurant on our honeymoon that everyone raved about... maybe I can convince John to take me back to St. Lucia so I can try it ;)

When we "went to Italy" we made this chicken dish that knocked my socks off. It was simple and really nothing difficult or special but the taste was just amazing. I think what made it so amazing was that we fried it... and honestly, fried chicken is just good. I wanted make it at home but frying chicken was out of the question so I decided to pan fry it with just a little bit of olive oil instead of the CUP we used at class. John and I both loved this chicken. I think the next time I would make a lemon pan sauce to serve with it because it could have used a little bit of a sauce, but honestly I didn't find it lacking without it. If you are looking for an impressive but easy chicken dish this one is a winner!

Source: Adapted from my cooking instructor, Diana Albanese

Ingredients:
2 5 ounce chicken breasts
1 ounce of prosciutto (about 2 thin slices)
1/4 cup flour
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
2 egg whites
salt
pepper
Sage (fresh or dried)
1 tbsp. olive oil

Directions:
1- Pat the chicken breasts dry. Lay one fresh sage leaf, or a sprinkling or dried sage, over one side of the breast.
2- Take the prosciutto and press it over the sage, pushing it into the chicken so that it sticks.
3- Season with salt and pepper.
4-Place the olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat and allow the oil to heat.
5- Meanwhile, in a small bowl whisk the egg whites. In a separate small bowl combine the flour and parmesan cheese.
6- Dip the chicken in the flour mix and then the egg whites. Place into the skillet with the hot oil.
7- Allow it to cook on both sides until the outside is crisp and the chicken is cooked through.

** 8 points per 5 ounce breast

4 comments:

  1. What is the measurement for the flour? It says 1/4 flour. Thanks! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GAH- It should say 1/4 CUP. Sorry!! I updated the recipe- thanks for catching that for me. Sometimes I update my blog when I am climbing into bed and clearly not all there haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This chicken looks so tender! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks very good, and I am also doing weight watchers so I appreciate the point values.

    ReplyDelete