Monday, February 22, 2010

Buttermilk Whole Wheat Scones



The other day at work my friend Gina mentioned that she recently made whole wheat scones. She didn't go into detail, describe their delicious flaky soft texture, or even mention the wafting scents of them fresh from the oven. All she said was that she recently made whole wheat scones. HOWEVER, while she was saying those words a small movie was playing in my head of these toasty whole wheat pastries, flavored with cinnamon, hitting my lips. The whole time I was at the gym that night I was dreaming of scones. By the time I got home I quickly showered and ran into the kitchen to whip up a batch. After a quick google search I discovered this recipe and made them.

Ok people... let me tell you, these are divine. Truly, truly, TRULY, divine. I often say "I'll make this again!" but I rarely do because there are so many recipes in this world that I want to try. But these... these I will make again. Again as in next week. Because by then there won't be any left in my freezer and honestly that's to sad of a reality for me to handle!

Side note: The original recipe calls for 5 tbsp. of buttermilk but mine was so dry with 5 that it didn't even resemble a dough. I added 2 more tablespoons, raising it to 7. The points value stayed the same, so if you are making these and your dough looks good at 5 feel free to stop. However if it's still dry like mine you can add 2 more tablespoons.

Source: Adapted from The Skinny Gourmet

Makes 6 medium scones.

1 cup + 1 tbsp whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
3 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp butter, very cold
7 tbsp buttermilk
2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup (packed) Craisins (or raisins if you prefer)
1 1/4 tsp cinnamon


For topping:
1 tbsp buttermilk
1/4 tsp sugar

Preheat oven to 400F.

In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar and stir well to combine. Remove the cold butter from the fridge or freezer. Using a knife, cut or shave the butter into small pieces. Then rub the butter into the flour mixture until the mixture resembles very coarse sand. Add the buttermilk, cinnamon, and vanilla, stir to combine. It will come together into a wet dough. Add the Craisins and stir to distribute well. The dough should be sticky and wet, but firm enough to hold its shape and not runny.

Roll the dough into a ball and then press gently into a disc about an inch thick. Place the disc of dough onto a well seasoned baking stone or a parchment lined baking sheet. Cut the dough disk into six wedges. Separate the wedges so there is at least an inch between each of them. Working with your finger or a pastry brush, brush the tops and sides with 1 tbsp buttermilk (total for all) and sprinkle generously with the sugar.

Bake at 400F for 15-18 minutes, until lightly browned.
Remove to a wire rack and allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.

**3 points per scone

3 comments:

  1. Just wanted to let you know I have an award on my photo blog (Twice As Many Moments) for you. I love trying new recipes from your blog because they're easy and always taste great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, these look amazing! I have all the ingredients...I think I may have to make these!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog, too! So great to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made these for breakfast today and they were delicious. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete