Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Chicken and Rice Soup



I briefly mentioned in a previous post that I now have to follow a low-fat diet for a surgery I will be having soon. While most people might be upset to hear this I was actually not. It's definitely a healthier way to live and I am happy to "have to" do this. Sure, I will have not-so-good things now and then but there are worse things in the world than eating healthy. Someone asked how it was going to affect my blog- not much at all! Most meals can be made low-fat through making healthier choices like lean meats, low fat cheeses, etc.

The hardest thing for me so far has been lunch at work.If not planned ahead lunch can become a messy time. I decided to plan ahead and make some low-fat soup for the week. I made up this recipe based on what I had on hand and let me just say- yum! I love chicken and rice soup and often get it when out to eat. I really loved this recipe and will make it often. I should also mention that this resulted in 3 lunch sized portions of soup. Enjoy!

Source: Stephanie Cooks Original

Ingredients:
1 32oz carton of fat free chicken broth
3/4 cup chopped rotisserie chicken (or any precooked chicken)
1/2 small onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
1/4 cup of long grain rice, uncooked
1 tablespoon of EVOO
Seasonings to taste (I used salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and parsley)

Directions:
1- In a deep pot heat the oil. Add the onion, carrot, and celery. Saute for about 5 minutes.
2- Pour in the chicken broth and rice.
3- Cover, bring to a boil for about 10-15 minutes, or until rice is cooked.
4- Add the chopped chicken and seasonings, taste and adjust as needed.
5- Allow to simmer over low heat for about 5-10 minutes.
6- Serve hot.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Stephanie..... I just made this. the only thing I did different was to on the stove grill two boneless/skinless chicken breast that I added just a wee touch of liquid smoke while marinating with just lemon/pepper.... This is a keeper for our house. Thank you for the recipe! I pinned it on my board in PINTEREST also Jaci from Imperial, MO

    ReplyDelete