Monday, September 7, 2009

Chicken Cordon Bleu Bake



This past weekend was a real preview of the early days of fall. The air was crisp, the wind was brisk, and I didn't feel like I was sweating just from standing outside. While I am sure that fall isn't here yet and summer will heat up the days again soon, I really enjoyed this sneak peak. I enjoyed it so much that I decided to make a fall food- a casserole. Typically I am not a huge fan of casseroles. There isn't any real reason, I just don't love them. My mom never made casseroles so they weren't something I grew up on. However now and then I run across a recipe for one that intrigues me. This recipe is certainly one of those.

I have been meaning to make this recipe for a few weeks now. I finally forced myself to make it since I knew the ham only had a few more days left before it joined the rest of my fallen fridge friends in the garbage. I really am so bad with wasting- I am striving to improve on this. So even though I wasn't feeling this I made it and I am glad I did. It was really quite tasty. I loved the pepper and onion flavor in the dish. Below is my version- I halved the original recipe and altered a few other measurements, but I am linking you to the original as well. Overall a must try for the fall!

Source: Adapted from Picky Palate

1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
1 clove fresh garlic, minced
1/4 lb diced ham
1 Cups cooked shredded chicken breast
1.5 Tablespoons butter
1/8 Cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
1 2/3 cups of chicken broth
2 Cups cooked rice of choice
1/4 Cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 Cup shredded mozzarella

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Heat oil into a large 5 qt rimmed skillet over medium heat. Saute onion and bell pepper until softened, about 5 minutes.

Stir in garlic, ham and chicken. Cook for an additional 5 minutes.

Melt butter then stir in flour, salt and pepper until combined.

Slowly stir in chicken broth until well combined. Stir in cooked rice then transfer to a baking dish.

Top with cheddar and mozzarella cheeses. Bake for 20-25 minutes.

Cover the dish with foil the last 10 minutes for oozing cheese.

2 comments:

  1. This looks like a delicious casserole! What a creative way to incorporate all the flavors of chicken cordon bleu!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have made a chicken cordon bleu bake I wasn't happy with so was looking for another one. This one looks great - it's on my list!

    ReplyDelete