Monday, September 14, 2009

Barbecue Chicken Calzone



This recipe was more or less a spur of the moment decision. I knew I was making the pizza dough that I previously posted and that it resulted in two meals worth of dough so I decided to make one batch of it into calzones. Someone had mentioned barbecue chicken calzones on my cooking forum so I decided to make them. While that is probably how meal planning goes for most people it is not how it goes in my house. I plan out meals. I plan them out at least one week, but often two weeks, in advance. I plan down to the side dishes, the vegetable, etc. So a spur of the moment meal like this was shocking but definitely a good choice.

This recipe was excellent. We loved it! I will say it makes 2 big calzones. I thought they'd be personal size but they were not. Next time I would freeze half the dough because we aren't good with leftovers. I heavily adapted the original recipe. Below is what I did but you can click the link to see the original. The original calls for onion and cilantro, both would be delicious, but I didn't have either in the house. This is really good and definitely a meal that will be repeated in our house. Next time I'd add a little bit more BBQ sauce- other than that, perfect.

Source: All Recipes

Ingredients:
1 batch of pizza dough
8 ounces of chicken, cooked and shredded
4 slices of center cut bacon, cooked and diced
1/3 cup of BBQ sauce
1 ounce of cheddar cheese (I used one cheese stick, diced)

Directions:
1- Place a pizza stone in the bottom third of the oven.
2- Heat the oven to 500.
3- Take the dough, divide it in half. Roll each half to an even thickness.
4- Toss the chicken, bacon, BBQ sauce, and cheese together.
5- On one piece of dough, cover half the dough with half the chicken mixture. Be sure to leave a little room around the edge. Fold the other half over so it is covering the mixture.
6- Using your thumb and pointer fingers pinch the dough around the edges.
7- Repeat with the other piece of dough and the remaining mixture.
8- Bake for approximately 15 minutes, until golden brown.

2 comments:

  1. They look yummy! We love CPK's BBQ chicken pizza so these will be right up our alley! Great picture too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a great weeknight dish for the family. Love it! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete