Monday, July 6, 2009

Homemade Manicotti



I love baked pasta dishes. When it comes to baked pasta I don't really discriminate- I love them all. Recently I was flipping through a Rachel Ray magazine and came across a recipe for homemade manicotti. I ripped the page out but never made it because it required making homemade noodles and I wasn't sure about that. However after reading (and rereading...) the recipe I realized it was relatively simple. I decided to give it a shot and WOW! These not only were much easier than I expected but they were great. In total I had 10 manicotti which was perfect for both of us for dinner and enough for both of us for lunch tomorrow.



Source: Adapted from Everyday with Rachel Ray (I don't know which month- I had ripped out the page and it doesn't say- sorry!)

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups ricotta cheese
1 3/4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (Reserve 1/4 cup for sprinkling over the manicotti before baking)
3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon dried parsley
3 large eggs
1 cup of water
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups of tomato sauce

Directions:
1- Preheat the oven to 350. Combine the first 4 ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
2- In a large bowl whisk the 3 eggs with the 1 cup of water. Add the flour- whisk until combined.
3- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray.
4- Spoon 3 tablespoons of the batter into the skillet. Cook one minute and then flip. Remove to a platter.

5- Cover the bottom of a 9x13 dish with sauce. Spread cheese down the center of each crepe.

6- Roll both sides up over the cheese. Place with the seam down in the baking dish.

7- Cover with the remaining sauce and sprinkle with additional sauce, if desired. Bake for 25 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. I am intrigued by this "noodle" recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. found your blog through menu plan monday and love it! I've only made traditional pasta, which is too much work for a weeknight for me, so I was excited to see this, I'll definitely be trying it out!

    ReplyDelete